Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Basil Fried Rice

*I first had Basil Fried Rice in my favorite Davis Thai restaurant, Sofia's. I loved it so much that I decided to search online for a recipe. I found this version, which was originally a vegan dish. I made a few alterations and found it to be delicious. It does not taste quite like my restaurant favorite, but I love it! The " * " represents my additions.

2 Tbsp oil
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1-3 small fresh red or green chilis, finely chopped
4oz/1cup fresh mushrooms, halved
1 small onion, chopped
8oz/2 cups cold cooked rice
2oz/1 green bell pepper, sliced (*mix red, yellow, green for color)
2oz/1 small bundle long beans or green beans cut into short lengths
1/2 tsp. sugar
3 Tbsp soy sauce
15 basil leaves
*Chicken breast, cut into pieces (I use whatever I have on hand)

In a wok or skillet, heat oil until hot but not smoking. Add garlic and chilies and fry until garlic is light brown. Add chicken, mushrooms, peppers, and onions and stir quickly until chicken is cooked and veggies are crisp tender. Add cooked rice; stir thoroughly. Add long beans, sugar, and soy and stir thoroughly. At the very end, stir in basil leaves and immediately turn into a serving bowl.

1 comment:

Alan said...

I love Sophia's :) This looks good, too :)